Reflections In A Flubber Room

What you perceive is what it is.

Friday, April 12, 2013

"Maybe YOU need glasses..."

As it turns out, I do. Not that my eyesight is bad bad, but definitely I've had in the back of my head that my eyes strain a bit especially when I'm reading, writing or drawing, and that if I relax my eyes things go a bit blurry. Focusing takes a bit of effort although most things do eventually go nice and sharp. I've also had a tendency to get mild to moderately severe headaches for many many years (my head's a little achey right now, in fact).

SO

I went in for my first real eye exam ever yesterday (discounting the little three-fingers-up three-fingers-left eye tests they gave us in school) and the nice doctor (who is Greek :-) ) and her two assistants put me through the whole rigamaroll, had me look into half a dozen interesting looking machines--including the one that pokes me in the eye to check for pressure--and concluded that I'm 1) farsighted, 2) have a bit of astigmatism, and 3) that my optic nerve cups are slightly asymmetrical and so I'm at risk for glaucoma (a condition that my sleep apnea exacerbates). Bottom line: eyeglasses. I think the prescription said that one eye needs +0.75 and the other +1; that's roughly what I'd guessed from playing with reading glasses at the drugstore. I didn't know about the astigmatism though.

After the test I went next door to the optician's shop to check out frames and turn in my prescription. I could have gone for a nice pair of Ray-Ban hipster frames but since I'm low on cash right now I chose a cheapie gray plastic full frame from the other non-designer wall (labeled "Accessories") that still look retro enough for my taste. Should have them in about a week. I've also become aware of certain places online where you can find cheap frames and at some point I may go in for another pair. I've also become intrigued in the anti-fashion possibilities of military surplus glasses, the so-called BCGs (birth control glasses) that millions of recruits have apparently learned to love to hate. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of that one, but who cares?

It's weird, btw, that I'm so negligent with my wardrobe but I'm jumping all over the idea of expressing myself with eyeglasses, like they're shoes or jewelry. I've never accessorized, ever. But I think I'm starting to move in that direction. Same with hats. I now really like newsboy caps. I'd wear one everywhere if I could. Now if I could just start getting interested in clothes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home